Fora Dictionary for Android™
Fora Dictionary is an extensible multilingual
offline dictionary application for Android devices.
- Installable packages (WordNet, FOLDOC, Factbook, Moby)
- Automated downloads (ENG-DEU, DEU-ENG, ENG-HUN, HUN-ENG,
ENG-CZE, ENG-TUR, CRO-ENG)
- Multiple offline dictionary formats support:
- StarDict dictionaries
- XDXF dictionaries
- DSL dictionaries
- DICTD database dictionaries
- Plain (tab-separated/TSV) dictionaries
- Wikipedia (with suggestions and random)
- Wildcard search
- Fuzzy search
- DICT protocol
- Full rich-text content and hyperlinks support for definitions
- Unified dictionary management for all types of dictionaries
- Assign color
- Show information
- Multiple dictionary arrangements using profiles (grouping)
- Reader mode
- Word history and elegant navigation
- Word list
- Random word
- Lookup via system clipboard (clipboard monitor)
- Text-to-Speech (available in EN_US, EN_GB, FR, DE, IT, ES)
- Speech input (available in EN, ZH_CN, JP)
- Export options
- Email/SMS options
- Query API
- Tablet friendly
- Portable, all-in-SD configuration
contains no dictionaries.
Note: "Phone calls" permission is about a
compatibility issue and completely irrelevant to the applications.
Instructions for manually installing packages
- Delete previous version(s) of the package, if any, using the
- Install package application (note that some packages may
require relatively larger free phone memory when installing).
- Extract the dictionary data and after successful extraction,
uninstall package application to reclaim phone memory.
- Open the Dictionary Manager and select "Rescan storage"
from menu to
add the dictionary to the current profile.
You can view screenshots
There are 5 ways to extend Fora with various sources
- Packages (5 items): Ready-to-use offline dictionary
installers tailored for using in Fora. The English Dictionary
Package is based on WordNet-3.0 and is comprehensive.
- Downloads (7 items): Several bilingual offline dictionaries
to choose from.
- Offline dictionaries: Any dictionary of supported formats
can be used in Fora. All dictionary data is stored portably in
the SD-card. You can even create your own dictionary/glossary as
TSV/Plain dictionary using a text editor.
- Wikipedia(s): Integrated Wikipedia article fetchers
displaying concise Wikipedia definitions.
- Network dictionaries: Configurable DICT-protocol
You can use any combination of the above dictionaries within the
- Storage: Fora Dictionary requires an
SD-card present. It creates a directory in the SD-card named
".fora" in which it stores all dictionary and configuration
- Packages: You can add dictionaries using pre-configured dictionary
packages. Packages normally do not occupy space on phone memory,
they are essentially self-extracting dictionary data archives. After extracting
the dictionary, you can safely uninstall
the package application to reclaim phone memory.
- Management from user interface: All
dictionary management tasks (add, remove, organize) are made
from the application's user interface (sometimes at the expense
of some patience).
- Sidebar: Sidebar allows you quickly visualize and navigate results.
- Hyperlinks and inline shortcuts: Fora
supports most hyperlinks in dictionaries and features
context-specific inline shortcuts.
- Profiles: Fora Dictionary comes with a
handy feature for power users. You can save and reuse complete
dictionary arrangements as profiles.
- Clipboard activation: If you need to lookup
from other applications, for instance while reading something in the browser, you can copy
the word to the clipboard while the application is running
behind. Fora will pop up for lookup results.
- Configuration portability: The
configuration directory (".fora") in the SD-card is completely
portable. That is, you can share individual dictionaries or the
whole ".fora" directory with friends. When you place a new
dictionary copied from another configuration directory, Fora
will recognize it when you select "Rescan storage" from the
Dictionary Manager menu.
- Fora Reader interoperability: You can use
your dictionaries in Fora Dictionary with Fora Reader on your computer.
You can order a license code in order to turn off ads permanently. It costs $5 and it's delivered instantly to your email.
If you do not receive the license code email within a few minutes after purchasing, please check your Junk (or Spam) email folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. To enter your license code, use Menu > More > About > License > "Enter License".
Starting with v10.0, the desktop converter utility is bundled with the main application. See Dictionary Manager menu
("Extract converter") to extract
the latest version of the utility. You can also download it here.
Any source is treated as a dictionary. Below are descriptions of
some terms used in management;
- Database: Collection of all dictionaries of all types
- Profile: An arrangement of dictionaries picked from database
- Remove: Remove dictionary from current profile and retain it
in database for using in other profiles
- Delete: Delete dictionary from database and remove from all
profiles (permanent deletion)
- Existing: A dictionary in database ready to be included into
- Local: dictionary stored locally in the SD-card (offline
- Network: dict.org, etc. server dictionary (online
- Indexing: converting/importing a local dictionary into
database (slow, but once)
- Package: Dictionary installer (does not need indexing)
- Download: Automated process of downloading & indexing
- Rescan: Checking for new files copied & placed into SD-card
- Switch: Change active profile
- Indexing: indexing some dictionaries is slow due to the
application's architecture. This issue is mitigated with a
desktop companion which can be downloaded freely (see above).
- Reader: selecting text in reader is not comfortable since
rendering components of the OS do not support it well. Improved in
Fora stores settings and dictionary data in the SD-card, hence,
you will need to manually delete the ".fora" directory in the
SD-card to clean up after uninstallation.
You can throw an Intent with action "com.ngc.fora.action.LOOKUP" and string extra "HEADWORD" to lookup in Fora Dictionary (since v4.0). A query API is documented here (since v9.0).
Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.